North County Health Services is pleased to announce the addition of free prenatal yoga classes to obstetrics (OB) patients at our Encinitas Health Center every Friday from 10:15 to 11:30 a.m. in the health education classroom.
In addition to the standard NCHS obstetrician/midwife collaboration model of health care, the clinic will add yoga as a multifaceted approach to exercise during pregnancy.
The Mayo Clinic explains benefits of prenatal yoga include:
· Improved sleep, reduced stress and anxiety
· Increased strength, flexibility and endurance of muscles needed for childbirth
· Decreased lower back pain, nausea, carpal tunnel syndrome
· Decreased risk of preterm labor and pregnancy-induced hypertension, and
· It can also help a mom-to-be meet and bond with other pregnant women and prepare for the stress of being a new parent.
Prenatal yoga classes often include a combination of breathing exercises, gentle stretching, postures and relaxation specifically designed for pregnant women. NCHS is excited to offer this opportunity to our patients for a healthier pregnancy experience!
–NCHS press release