This weekend will mark the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. It’s important to take a moment on Sunday and stop and remember the innocent who lost their lives and the people who risked theirs trying to save others. But it's also important to take some time and be grateful for what you have. We’ve got a 9/11 tribute event listed below, and we also have some fun weekend activities for you and the family.
This weekend, Sept. 8-11, get out and spend some time with your loved ones. Stay nearby for a fundraiser, a clue-finding game at Legoland, a tennis block party and a surf competition in Oceanside. Show respect for those who died 10 years ago with a 9/11 tribute concert.
Venture out a little farther for a lot of food tasting and a gala in the garden. La Jolla is hosting a burlesque benefit.
Patch also wants to remind you to hug your grandparents on Sunday (it’s Grandparent’s Day!) as well as thank all the men and women who continue to serve our country and protect us, be it military, firefighters or the police force. You all make a difference in our lives.
Click the links for more information.
BEST BETS CLOSE TO HOME
- When/where: , 5480 Grand Pacific Dr., Carlsbad, 6:30 p.m. Friday.
- Why go: Feast on a gourmet buffet, participate in a silent auction and listen to live entertainment at this 11th Annual Madre Fiesta. The fundraiser is for Madre Antonia and the Eudist Servants of the 11th Hour and their work for those in need.
- Price: $55 per person or $500 per table of 10.
- When/where: , 1 Legoland Dr., Carlsbad, 9:30 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Your kids can journey through Legoland and its aquarium in search of clues and puzzles. This Puzzle Pursuit is put on by the Outdoor Outreach, which is a nonprofit foundation that helps at-risk and underprivileged kids.
- Price: $80, which includes admission to the park.
- When/where: Poinsettia Park, 6600 Hidden Valley Rd., Carlsbad, 10 a.m.-noon Saturday.
- Why go: Learn tips and technique for tennis from the teachers at the city's rec center at this .
- Price: Free.
- When/where: , 6628 Santa Isabel St., Carlsbad, 3 p.m. Sunday.
- Why go: Watch the La Jolla Symphony Chorus pay tribute to the 10th anniversary of 9/11 with a concert of Mozart’s Requiem. The audience is invited to sing along.
- Price: Free.
- When/where: Oceanside Harbor, North Jetty, Oceanside, 7 a.m. Saturday and Sunday.
- Why go: Choose from 13 different divisions to surf in at the Surf for the Sea event. The beneficial surf competition gives its proceeds to organizations like the Surfrider Foundation. Enter yourself or just hang out and watch the competitors ride the waves.
- Price: $40-$80 and up.
BEST BETS, A LITTLE FARTHER OUT
- When/where: 818 S Coast Hwy., Encinitas, 6-9 p.m. Thursday.
- Why go: Get a taste of local food with this Taste of MainStreet event. One ticket will get you 33 tastes from restaurants in Encinitas. Foodies cannot pass this one up.
- Price: $25.
- When/where: , 389 Requeza St., Encinitas, 4-6 p.m. Friday.
- Why go: Take the kids to the humane society for a dinner with dogs, provided by Whole Foods. Kids will also get to make some crafts and get a behind-the-scenes tour of the shelter.
- Price: $20.
- When/where: , 230 Quail Gardens Dr., Encinitas, 5-10 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Support the botanic garden’s exhibits and programs while enjoying food, music and art sculptures.
- Price: $200.
- When/where: , 700 Prospect St., La Jolla, 6:30 p.m.-1 a.m. Saturday.
- Why go: It’s a burlesque gala for the Museum of Contemporary Art (MCASD). Join well-known burlesque dancer Dita Von Teese and art-lovers for drinks, dinner, dancing and more. This annual gala raises money for the museum’s education programs and exhibitions.
- Price: $650-$2,500.
- When/where: , 3459 Manchester Ave., Cardiff by the Sea, 10 a.m.-10 p.m. Saturday and 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Sunday.
- Why go: Enjoy some authentic Greek food, drinks, dancing and shopping at this 33rd Annual Cardiff Greek Festival.
- Price: Adults are $3. Kids 12 and under are free.
- When/where: Envision Spa and Salon, 3245 Business Park Dr., Vista, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday.
- Why go: Pay for and get a haircut, plus free cancer screenings and salon and spa giveaways at this benefit cut-a-thon for cancer.
- Price: $20.