It’s the biggest weekend of the year in San Diego. Comic-Con has arrived and many will flock to America’s Finest City to pay homage to their favorite superheroes and celebrities. You, too, can join in the comic celebration, but we understand if you want to avoid the crowds and stay a little closer to home.
Encinitas has plenty to keep you busy from July 22-24. Art lovers have a great weekend ahead with art hunts, crafting and stage shows. Spend Sunday in town with some spiritual awakening and meditation for a peaceful way to end the weekend.
You can venture out a little farther for the superhero spectacle downtown or walk around Shelter Island and help raise money for diseases that affect over 2,000 families in San Diego. Travel just a little farther south and spend a day with your family at the Del Mar Racetrack for a day full of games and activities, or swim with sharks at La Jolla Shores.
Click the links for more details.
BEST BETS CLOSE TO HOME
- When/where: , 128 W. E St., Encinitas, 8 a.m. daily.
- Why go: Explore Encinitas’ urban art in this scavenger hunt around the city.
- Price: $10.
- When/where: , 540 Cornish Dr., Encinitas, 10:30-11:30 a.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Make some art with your family to take home and display. You’ll also get to watch a performance by The Prodigy Players.
- Price: Free.
- When/where: , 627 Encinitas Blvd., Encinitas, 8 a.m.-noon Sunday.
- Why go: Have a different kind of spiritual experience on Sunday with this yoga class. You can also take part in chanting and meditation classes that are based on donations.
- Price: $15.
- When/where: , 2081 Newcastle Ave., Cardiff-by-the-Sea, 10:30 a.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Watch brightly colored puppets (the famous Swazzle Puppets) act out in fun and entertaining ways.
- Price: Free.
BEST BETS, A LITTLE FARTHER OUT
- When/where: La Jolla Shores, 8200 Camino Del Oro, La Jolla, 8-10 a.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Take your snorkeling gear down to the shore and swim with native sharks and learn about snorkeling and the underwater world.
- Price: $25-$30.
- Where/when: The Pier, 2131 Shelter Island Dr., San Diego, 8 a.m.-noon Sunday.
- Why go: Walk around Shelter Island with other locals and help support families in our San Diego community that are suffering from scleroderma and lupus. Raffle prizes, awards and music will follow the for-a-cause walk.
- Price: $10-$25.
- Where/when: San Diego Convention Center, 111 W. Harbor Dr., San Diego, 9:30 a.m., Thursday through Sunday.
- Why go: This huge event may be sold out, but graphic novel nerds and movie maniacs can still get their fix of celebrities and superheroes. for a list of Comic-Con events that you can still get into.
- Price: Varies between each activity.
- When/where: Del Mar Racetrack, 2260 Jimmy Durante Blvd., Del Mar, 1-6 p.m. Sunday.
- Why go: Take everyone over to the racetrack for rock climbing, games, bungee trampoline and more. Kids 12 and younger get a free plush toy.
- Price: $6 for adults, free for kids 17 and younger.