Some people consider certain snacks 'healthy', when these could actually be causing you more hunger.
Snacking is essential on an as-needed basis. Every day is different and life is dynamic and changing.
If you eat meals with the correct balance of macro-nutrients, you will feel sustained until the next meal time.
When you consistently need a snack between meals, a few different things could be happening:
1. Your blood sugars are too high or too low, which makes it very difficult to lose body fat.
2. Your macro-nutrients (protein, carbohydrates, fat) are imbalanced. The usual cause is low amounts of quality proteins and healthy fats during meals or the entire day.
3. Your digestive tract is not absorbing nutrients, leaving your body malnourished.
4. You might be bored with your diet and need more variety.
If you are more active and need more fuel, my favorite snacks include:
1. Green apple with almond butter
2. Protein shake with coconut milk
3. Cucumbers with hummus or guacamole
4. Raw goat cheddar slices
Happy snacking and enjoy.
Heather Fleming is the founder of Conscious Nutrition. For more information about her practice, you can visit ConsciousNutrition.com.