The first in a series of Strategic Plan City Council Special Meetings will be held on October 30, 2013 at 6 pm at the Encinitas Community Center, 1140 Oakcrest Drive. The public is welcome to attend.
The meeting is part of the City of Encinitas Strategic Plan process, which invites all Encinitans to “Dialogue … Deliberate … Decide How We ALL Move Encinitas Forward.”
In January 2013, the City Council approved the development of a Strategic Plan. Council members participated in three workshops facilitated by Michele Tamayo that resulted in the formulation of a document that will drive the Plan.
Between January-July 2013, the City Council was able to complete: (1) Vision and Mission statements, (2) a set of Operating Principles, (3) discussion and identification of eight Strategic Plan focus areas, and (4) a number of specific goals for each key focus area. (See Strategic Plan Elements below.)
In July 2013, the Council approved continuation of the process and directed staff to generate a preliminary schedule for Council planning sessions. These sessions will enable Council members to further refine focus area goals, consider current levels of services within the eight established focus areas and identify areas for policy discussion. They also will provide an opportunity to discuss subject matter with stakeholders and regional partners, set priorities and make resource allocation decisions.
City Manager Gus Vina presented a Strategic Plan Agenda Report to Council at its September 25, 2013 meeting. The Report outlines a series of Special Meetings that will be held at the Community Center at 6 pm.
First Focus: Transportation
Transportation will be the focus of the October 30, 2013 meeting. Topics to be discussed include mass transit (rail and bus), I-5 freeway widening, and rail corridor issues (among them, crossings, wayside horns/quiet zones, double tracking and coastal rail trail).
The public is not only welcome but encouraged to attend this session and any/all public meetings, Vina says. “Encinitas is YOUR City, so each of you is an important stakeholder in envisioning and creating the future of our community.”
Tentative Strategic Planning Meeting Schedule (Check the website for updates.)
- October 30, 2013: Transportation, Part I
- November 6, 2013: Arts and Culture
- December 4, 2013: Transportation, Part II
- January 29, 2014: Environment
- February 26, 2014: Economic Development
- March 5, 2014: Recreation
- April 2, 2014: Public Safety
- May 7, 2014: Community Planning
- June TBD, 2014: Organizational Efficiency and Effectiveness
Strategic Plan Elements
Here are some key elements of the Strategic Plan. More information about the Plan and process is here.
VISION STATEMENT:“Encinitas is five unique communities thriving as ONE great city.”
“Preserve, protect and provide innovative services that enhance the quality of life for residents, visitors, businesses and our communities.”
- Respectful Partnerships – Encourage honest dialogue, diversity in thinking and problem-solving.
- City Council Commissions – Provide expert advice.
- Improvement and Efficiency – Streamline everything we do using best practices.
- Financially Sound Decision-Making – Achieve long-term sustainability.
- Data Gathering and Sharing – Enhance informed decision-making.
- Measurement and Accountability – Ensure excellent service and the best investment of taxpayer money.
STRATEGIC FOCUS AREAS:
- Economic Development.
- Arts and Culture.
- Public Safety.
- Organizational Effectiveness and Efficiency.
- Community Planning.