Imposter Nurse to be Sentenced to One Year in Jail

Jacqueline Smith, 57, misled people into believing they needed infusions and injections of animal cells to treat Lyme disease and put intravenous lines in patients in Encinitas.

A woman who posed as a nurse alongside a doctor imposter who misled people into believing they needed infusions and injections of animal cells to treat Lyme disease, pleaded guilty Tuesday to three counts of practicing medicine without a license.

Jacqueline Smith, 57, will be sentenced to a year in jail at a hearing Jan. 24.

Deputy District Attorney Gina Darvas said Smith put intravenous lines in patients who went to Kathleen Ann Helms for treatment at the BrightHouse Wellness Center in Encinitas.

Helms, of Scripps Ranch, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to practice medicine without a license and will be sentenced next month to three years in prison. She will serve that sentence in local custody.

Darvas said the FBI opened an investigation after two people treated by Helms filed complaints with the California Medical Board, claiming Helms falsely represented herself as a doctor of naturopathy and an expert on Lyme disease.

According to an affidavit filed in the case, Helms diagnosed a patient with the inflammatory illness after looking at a sample of blood under a microscope, then prescribed a treatment plan that included shots of bovine stem cells from Germany.

Helms directed the patient to go to a Tijuana hospital to have a peripherally inserted central line put into one of her arms so Helms could give treatments intravenously. The patient agreed to pay $300 for the insertion of the line and $30,000 for the treatment Helms recommended, according to the affidavit.

The patient suffered multiple complications with the insertion of the line and had to return to Tijuana three times to make the line functional, according to the FBI.

The patient subsequently returned to Helms' office, where she was hooked to an IV and infused with four bags of dimethyl sulfoxide, an experimental medicinal solvent, and given what she was told were two stem-cell injections in the stomach, according to the affidavit.

The patient returned to Helms' office three more times and underwent a similar regime that included infusions and injections. On the evening of the last treatment, the woman became seriously ill at home and was taken to an emergency room and immediately placed in an intensive-care unit, according to the affidavit.

The patient initially was told she only had hours to live because her organs were shutting down, but ultimately was hospitalized for six weeks, then placed into a skilled nursing facility and later an assisted-living facility, according to the FBI.

A man diagnosed by Helms with Lyme disease was actually suffering from prostate cancer, Darvas said.

—City News Service


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something