Want to know how a simple way to stay healthy and live longer?
According to the book Thrive, some of the world's healthiest and longest living people don't pump iron, run marathons or join gyms, Instead, they live in environments that constantly nudge them into moving without thinking about it. They also don't sit for long periods of time.
What exactly does that mean? They get their exercise in daily life - they don't have to "make time" to workout. Moving physically is just part of their life.
Interesting, right? So how can you incorporate some of these things into your day-to-day?
Here's 5 suggestions.
1. Plant a vegetable gardens and work in it. Not only will you be growing some good-for-you veggies, but you'll build muscle and burn calories by weeding it.
2. Walk - instead of driving your car. Hoof it to the post office or the hardware store next time you need to run an errand.
3. Plan an active social event. Instead of plopping down at a bar stool with friends for happy hour, take a beach walk or go bowling.
4. Ride your bike to work. If you live too far away from your work, check out public transportation + bike options. Many trains and buses can accommodate bikes.
5. Get up and move often if you work in front of a computer or watch TV. Hand-deliver something to a co-worker. Do push-ups during commercials.