The Encinitas Union School District’s vision for an education center and organic farm on its Encinitas Ranch property moved another step forward when the board of trustees approved during its April 17 meeting.
Scott A. Murray, an organic farmer and leader of Slow Food San Diego, originally presented a conceptual proposal for the site last fall. The vacant 10-acre site off Quail Gardens Drive would offer students opportunities for hands-on educational activities at the farm and learning stations. The farm’s produce could be used for school lunches, or sold at a stand on site or to partners in the community.
Originally meant to house a school site, the property is being developed so the district doesn’t have to pay a fine for not using it. The development of the property is being funded by money from Proposition P, which was approved by voters in 2010; the measure also funds technology and school site improvements.
The board’s action gives Superintendent Tim Baird the go-ahead to begin negotiations with Scott Murray Farms, as well as the opportunity to enter into a licensing agreement if Murray wants to start cultivating the land before negotiations are finished. There will be a display of the proposal at the Encinitas Garden Festival & Tour on April 21.
Also at the board meeting, the district’s Teachers of the Year and Classified Employees of the Year were honored:
Teachers of the Year
- Lynn Thornton (Capri)
- Angela Estrada (El Camino Creek)
- Gail Patterson (Flora Vista)
- John Darland (La Costa Heights)
- Trina Leonard (Mission Estancia)
- Brian McFadden (Ocean Knoll)
- Nancy Gorton (Olivenhain Pioneer)
- Kristie Jewett (Park Dale Lane)
- Lorraine Geisterfer (Paul Ecke Central)
Classified Employees of the Year:
- Laurie Underwood (Capri)
- Rigoberto Parra (El Camino Creek)
- Julie Lewis (Flora Vista)
- Karen Burch (La Costa Heights)
- Sandra Galicia (Mission Estancia)
- Lori Alguire (Ocean Knoll)
- Lura Nascimento (Olivenhain Pioneer)
- Valerie Mahoney (Park Dale Lane)
- Denny Cope (Paul Ecke Central)
Other honorees included:
- Hannelore Guelland (Child Nutrition)
- Elaine Nance (Extended Day)
- Laura Aparicio (District Office)
- Roque Ramos (Maintenance, Operations and Grounds)
- Superintendent Tim Baird
- Director of Information Technology David Delacalzada (Administrators of the Year)