Brian McFadden of Encinitas' Ocean Knoll Elementary is among 42 public-school teachers to be honored at a black-tie, Academy Awards-style ceremony Saturday at Balboa Theater in downtown San Diego.
The top prize: being named one of five county Teachers of the Year.
In April, McFadden, a sixth-grade teacher, was named Teacher of the Year in the Encinitas Union School District. According to his classroom blog, he's has taught for 12 years—the first five at Rock Springs Elementary in Escondido and the past seven at Ocean Knoll.
"I think Brian really represents the quality educator that you would want your child to have and that every administrator is so grateful to have," stated Ocean Knoll Principal Angelica Lopez in an Aril North County Times article. “That one guy that comes to school with a positive attitude every day and says, ‘I'm going to make it a great day.'"
McFadden says when he’s not teaching he enjoys surfing, skateboarding, cycling, yoga, camping with his family and “sipping on a cup of coffee at the Pannikin in Leucadia and then browsing through some music over at Lou’s in my caffeinated state of mind.”
The 22nd Annual Cox Presents: A Salute to Teachers—sponsored by Ashford University and others—ultimately recognizes the county's 26,000 public school teachers, organizers say.
Promoters say: “San Diego County school districts have nominated 42 of their best and brightest teachers, who were selected based on student achievement, teaching philosophy, familiarity with current issues in education and community involvement.”
Five Teachers of the Year will be announced during the live awards show.
These five will go on to compete for state and national Teacher of the Year honors.
This year’s event will feature musical and dance performances by local students and videos that highlight “the wonderful work our local teachers perform each and every day,” promoters say.
The show will be on Channel 4 San Diego and in high definition on Channel 1004.
Among nominees for 2013 San Diego County Teacher of the Year are:
- Rick Brown of Carlsbad High School
- Andrea Sleet of Del Mar Hills Academy
- Elizabeth Lewellen of Pendleton Elementary School in the Fallbrook Union School District
- Kristi Kettler of Murray Manor Elementary in the La Mesa-Spring Valley School District
- Melissa Armstrong of Lakeside Middle School
- Kristin Alianelli of San Miguel Elementary in the Lemon Grove School District
- Laura Griffin of Ivey Ranch Elementary School in the Oceanside Unified School District of Mission Elementary School
- Luz Meza-Miller of Mission Elementary School in the Oceanside Unified School District
- Megan Power of Del Sur Elementary School in the Poway Unified School District
- Anthony Bayro of Los Penasquitos Elementary School in the Poway Unified School District
- Martin Reisert of Oak Valley Middle School in the Poway Unified School District
- Joey Sutera of Carlton Oaks School in the Santee School District.
- Chandra Goodnough of Mar Vista Middle School in the Sweetwater Union High School District
A complete list of the 42 nominees is attached.